July 3, 2018

It’s been quite a while since my last post – just been living my life.  But I do have two things to tell you.


First of all, if you follow my blog, you know how much I detest insects that bite – particularly if they’re biting me. I’ve been complaining about this for years, but I just suffered through the most horrible experience to date with these little bastards!

Tim recently purchased a 14′ Wahoo.  For the uninitiated, that’s a small boat.  It has a 40 hp Mariner engine, which gets you around just fine – until it doesn’t.  Tim and my brother Lou have been fishing and crabbing with it with no problems.  I didn’t want to go for a ride until all of the “bugs” were worked out.  So, on Sunday, two days ago, Tim asked if I wanted to go out for my first ride.  It was a beautiful day, so I said, “sure”.  After preparing for the day with sunscreen and bug spray, we set off.  By 2:00pm, we had the boat in the water and me in the boat with no problems – and off we went.  What a beautiful day.  From the dock we motored through the marshes – me with a big grin on my face.  How I love the water.  We got into the bay by 2:30 pm, still with the marsh close by.  All of a sudden – the engine cut out.  AAARRRGGGG!!!  I must calm down – Tim is the McGyver of my world.  OK, OK – he’s got this!  Right?? Right??  Wrong!  There we sat for 2 and 1/2 hours waiting for the tow boat to come and get us!!! Thank goodness we bought “tow insurance”.  It was about 95 degrees in the shade.  We have a bimini top for sun protection, but when we put it up, literally hundreds of green heads swarmed the underside of the top.  They usually go after big large objects like cattle, but since there didn’t happen to be any, they went for the next best thing – the bimini and us.  OMG – I can not express my horror at this situation.  We anchored and waited for the tow boat.  At first the dispatcher said the ETA would be in one hour – which turned into 2 1/2 hours, and not a moment less.  There we sat all that time.  Tim’s pants were covered with flies, but they didn’t seem to bite  him.  Me?  My butt, hips and legs are quite a mess.  Two or three even managed to bite my crotch.    Well, here for your viewing pleasure is a picture of  part of my right hip.

As you can see, I am allergic to these critters.  After they bite, each bite swells up into welt about the size of a quarter, and they itch like crazy.  I’ve been using Calamine Lotion, topical Benadryl  and something called Top Care Anti-Itch Lotion.  I’ve also been downing Benadryl tablets, so I don’t dig through my skin with my nails and make matters worse.  Now mind you, she had to chew through my pants and underpants to get to me.  Oh yes, and bug spray.  When the engine stopped, I sprayed every spot I could reach, including my clothes.  In fact I used an entire can of OFF spray.  If I wasn’t spraying myself, I was spraying them as if it was a gun.  Guess what?  They couldn’t care less.  It did not matter.  I must be one tasty morsel.  UGH!!!  The sea police patrol did come by at one point to ask if we were ok.  OK???  No – I’m being eaten alive – not to mention burned alive by the sweltering sun.  Alas, they said they couldn’t help unless it was a true emergency.  I ask you – what constitutes a real emergency if not melting and being gnawed on by vicious animals???  As they left, they suggested we crab a little to pass the time.  Tim did throw three or four lines over.  He crabbed while I swatted.  Insult to injury?  He managed to catch ONE crab that was a male of legal length.

After waiting a full 2 1/2hours, the tow boat pulls up to help.  He brings us to about a mile of ur dock – but the tide is too low and he is unable to make it any further – and has to set us loose.  Again, OMG!  We only have one oar in the boat because it isn’t a row boat, and is much wider than a kayak.  Still, Tim  stood up and tried to paddle us home.  The tide was working against us, so he got in the shallow water to try and pull us to the dock.  A split second later, he jumped back in the boat.  The black muddy bottom was sucking him in like quick sand.  Plus, who knows what’s in there.  After all, our dock and this waterway are in a wildlife refuge.  It’s probably a good estimate that 50% of that “mud” is duck and geese poop.  I know he wants to scream, but he doesn’t.  He stands up and begins to furiously paddle.  The dock is in sight.  Go Tim, Go!!!

We make it to the dock, but the low tide meant I had to climb up at least 5 widely separated steps.  On each rung, Tim had to give my behind an extra “oomph”, so I could actually get to the next rung. Once we’re out, we have to get the boat onto the trailer, while the flies continued to feast.  Once I got in the truck, I absolutely would not get out until we were home.

Ask me if I’m going out on the boat again any time soon?  Nah, I’m good.



We sold our wonderful, hard-working little Casita travel trailer.  We had mixed emotions about it, but decided that for us, it was the way to go.  We will be looking into something a little bit larger.  A trailer that would be big enough to be comfortable for us and perhaps a guest or two,  for months at a time.  Perhaps to escape the winters.  Time will tell.

Until then, stay tuned.  I’m working on a possible around-the world voyage – and may be looking for travel mates for a few of the legs.



7 thoughts on “OUCH! OMG! OUCH!

    1. Takin' Breeze Post author

      Hey Girl – yes, it was really devastating. But enough about me and my woes. Chose few good dates for you to come visit and crab, and I ‘ll pick one of those dates. Look forward to “picking” tasty morsels with you.
      🦀 🦀 🦀 🍺 🍽 😃

  1. Noreen

    OMG!!! I don’t think I’d go out of the house if I got bit like that!!!
    Happy July 4!!!!
    Love to you & Tim,

    1. Takin' Breeze Post author

      Noreen – hello to you. So nice to hear your voice. Yes, well, we planned to see fireworks on the 4th, but all my “areas” decided to flare-up. Had to rush home to take my Benadryl. What a drag – but it is getting better! Love to you, Janet ps – hope to see you this summer.

    1. Takin' Breeze Post author

      Hi Bill- Yes I have. Unfortunately, that doesn’t work for me. Someone suggested brown listerine (why brown? I don’t know) with a little water. Nope – did not work. Next- someone suggested slathering on some suntan oil, which is hard to find, or just plain baby oil. They will be next. I sure hope one of them works or my boating days in New Jersey are kaput! Thanks for the suggestion.

  2. Nancy

    OMG. I can’t imagen a more devastating day. We have boated and know exactly how horrible the green heads can be. I hope you have a quick recovery. I am also allergic to them and get welts but also I become lethargic for two days. Their poison gets into the blood stream. You should have gone to urgent care immediately when you returned home. So take care.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *